Announcing My 2017 Blind Spot Series!

The time has come, my little friends, to talk of other things… Maybe my 2017 blind spot series? Oh, go on then!

For those of you that don’t know, the Blind Spot is a feature run by Ryan of The Matinee where each blogger taking part picks 12 films, one for each month. Obvs. Usually classic or renowned films that they haven’t seen yet. Their metaphorical or physical ‘list of shame’ you might say.

You can read my 2015 Blind Spot series here where I’ve linked all the posts, and my most recent 2016 Blind Spot. It’s soooooo difficult to pick my favourite, but In The Mood for Love (2000) was certainly special.

If you’ve followed for the past couple of years, you’ll know that foreign films is my jam. It’s a lot easier to spontaneously pop on an English language film I’ve not seen before but takes that little bit more effort with Foreign film. Other years, I’d gone to the effort of picking a different country for every month, but I’m afraid when it comes to world cinema, not all countries were made equal. So to hell with that rule, these are films I just REALLY want to see.

Announcing my 2017 blind spot series | almostginger.com
Courtesy of The Matinee

Without further ado…

1. Battle Royale (2000)
  2. Cinema Paradiso (1988)
  3. Farewell my Concubine (1993)
  4. Come and See (1985)
  5. The White Ribbon (2009)
  6. The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920)
  7. Volver (2006)
  8. Tokyo Story (1953)
  9. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000)
  10. Let the Right One in (2008)
  11. Breathless (1960)
  12. Delicatessen (1991)

2017 is largely going to be the year of no challenges. No ‘watch this many films’ or ‘you must do all of this.’ There will only be my blind spot, and that makes me pretty bloody happy and excited about the carefree, easy year ahead.

I look forward to reading everyone else’s Blind Spot entries over the coming year, that’s mainly how I found new film blogs in the first place. Have you seen any that I’ve got on my list?

Rebecca

I'm the human and hair behind Almost Ginger. I'm a cinephile travel obsessive vegetarian currently residing in Manchester.

9 thoughts on “Announcing My 2017 Blind Spot Series!

• December 26, 2016 at 10:58 pm

Got some good choices here, Battle Royale is a brilliant action film and how the first Hunger Games movie should have been made, Cinema Paradiso was one of my blindspot picks for 2016 and I don’t think I’ve seen a bigger love letter to classic cinema aside from maybe Hugo, Cabinet of Doctor Caligari is one of the classics of silent cinema, one of the most visually striking films ever made and Let The Right One In is a good horror film, but not really my cup of tea. I’m going to try to get through some foreign films on my blindspot list, I know that for me January and December are already blocked off (going to make it a tradition to bookend my blindspot picks with Scorcese films, going to do Mean Streets and The King of Comedy this year), I’ve got The Seventh Seal, La Belle et la Bete and Ran pencilled in, really looking forward to seeing them. Hope you enjoy your blindspot picks.

• December 26, 2016 at 11:13 pm

Yeah I don’t think Let the Right One In is going to be my cup of tea either but I thought I’d go with a Halloween theme! Oooohh La Belle et la Bete is something special. Ran is the later Kurosawa film based on King Lear isn’t it? It’s absolutely fantastic if it’s the one I think it is! Thanks Tony, hopefully it’ll be a good year for film both old and new!

• December 27, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I know what you mean with themes, doing La Belle et la Bete in March to tie in to the new Disney version of Beauty and the Beast and having The Exorcist as my Halloween film. Yeah, you’re right with Ran, love the story about how Kurosawa made a version of King Lear with Ran by accident, he originally intended it to be a reinvention of a Japanese folktale (there’s a great video about the links between King Lear and Ran here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwRg3x2mAAM)

• December 27, 2016 at 12:09 am

I’ve seen all of these films. Come and See was a Blind Spot I did this past September as it’s a truly immersive and unforgettable experience to watch.

• December 27, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Ooh I’ll look forward to that one then! I was supposed to watch it this year but alas, the film seems VERY difficult to get.

• December 27, 2016 at 6:01 pm

Oh wow…I wish I could go back and watch BREATHLESS, LET THE RIGHT ONE IN, and CROUCHING TIGER for the first time. Colour me jealous!!

Glad you’re coming back for another round in 2017 Ms. Sharp – looking forward to reading more of your posts

• December 27, 2016 at 10:17 pm

And I with you in regards to Wages of Fear. Oh my goodness, that film is TENSE.

• December 29, 2016 at 12:26 am

Ah yes Caligari! This one grew on me – the art work is brilliant aaaaand I won’t spoil it any further.

Some excellent choices in there including Cinema Paradiso which was on my list last year. And Delicatessen is a fantastic choice which you’ll love.

I better get cracking on with posting my list too!

• December 29, 2016 at 7:09 am